CAWD (formally the Carmel Sanitary District), formed in 1908 to service the community of Carmel-by-the-Sea, is one of the oldest sanitary districts in the State. In 1934, CAWD was reorganized under the Health and Safety Code Sanitary District Act of 1923. In 1939 work began on the construction of a primary treatment plant. The primary treatment plant was built at the site of the current Wastewater Treatment Facility and had a design capacity of 0.8 million gallons per day. The primary treatment plant was the first sewage treatment plant on the Monterey Peninsula. CAWD also provides treatment and disposal services to PBCSD, which owns one-third of the capacity of CAWD’s treatment facility. CAWD is an independent political entity operating under authority of the Health and Safety Code of the State of California, and is governed by its own five member Board of Directors who are elected for terms of four years each.