Skip to main content

Source Control and Pretreatment

May contain: person, human, police, transportation, and vehicle

Source Control and Pretreatment Program

The Carmel Area Wastewater District operates an award-winning source control program, defined through the district’s Sanitary Sewer Management Program. The source control program was developed to protect the environment, the health and safety of the public and agency employees. This program also protects the operation of the wastewater treatment plant, the wastewater collection system, the quality of biosolids generated from the wastewater treatment process, and to reduce costs associated with the treatment of these pollutants. This is done through the enforcement of regulations that limit the type and amount of pollutants businesses can discharge to the sewer. Source Control Inspectors monitor the results of testing to see if there are any violations of the ordinances by businesses.


 Who must obtain a Permit?

Waste Discharge Permits are issued annually to all businesses with the potential to discharge toxic pollutants, fats, oils, and/or grease into the collection system. The permit includes wastewater discharge limits, monitoring and reporting requirements, as well as other permit conditions. New businesses are required to submit application and plans to the Carmel Area Wastewater District Engineer for plan review and any connection fees to be paid. In addition to any Carmel-by-the-Sea or Monterey County permitting fees, current business owners/restaurants will be required to submit an updated Discharge Permit Application annually of current contact information and changes to restaurant practices. Examples of permitted businesses (but not limited to):

            Food service establishments:


                        Bars serving snacks

                        Golf Course snack bars

                        Nonresidential kitchens such as institutional facilities and hospitals

            Food packaging establishments:

                        Catering truck facilities

                        Grocery store deli facilities

                        Grocery store meat and produce facilities

                        Beef jerky preparation facilities

                        Olive oil bottling facilities


                        Other Food packaging facilities

            Service Based Facilities:

                        Beauty Salons and Hair Salons

                        Spa and Massage Facilities

            Dry Cleaners:



                        Furniture Strippers and Refinishers

                        Nail Salons

                        Pesticide Operators (All)

            Medical Care and Dental Care Facilities:

                        Dental Labs, Surgeries and Offices

                        Laboratories, both Medical and Research

                        Doctor Offices


                        Nursing Homes


How is a Permit Obtained? How much does the Discharge Permit Cost?

It is the business owner’s responsibility and obligation to request a Permit from Carmel Area Wastewater District. The business owner can request a Permit by:

  1. Downloading the permit application: New Restaurant Discharge Permit_$150.00_Revision100819.pdf
  2. The Discharge Permit fee is an annual fee of $150.00.
  3. Calling or Emailing the Carmel Area Wastewater District Source Control Supervisor.
  4. Visiting the Carmel Area Wastewater District Office located at 3945 Rio Road in Carmel, CA 93922.

For more information, the business owner can contact Carmel Area Wastewater District to see if the business falls under the district ordinance.

Carmel Area Wastewater District Supervisor is:

            Ray DeOcampo

            Office: 831-257-0429

            Cell:     831-917-6352


 Why is a Permit needed?

Control of Fats, Oils, and/or Grease (FOG) is an important necessity by the Federal Government and the State of California as part of the Clean Water Act set up by the Federal Environmental Protection Agency. FOG is any fats, oils or grease produced from animal or vegetable sources. For example, common names include but are not limited to:

            Animal fat

            Vegetable oil

            Cooking grease

But can also include animal and vegetable products disposed of in a garbage disposal.

FOG is technically defined as organic polar compounds derived from animal and/or plant sources that contain multiple carbon chain triglyceride molecules.


Permitted businesses are routinely inspected to see if there have been any operational changes and to determine compliance with permit conditions. A typical inspection includes viewing grease trap or grease interceptor equipment, pretreatment systems, chemicals used, and reviewing documentation such as waste manifests, pretreatment operation and maintenance logs.


Permit violations may be identified during inspections or by reviewing monitoring data. Enforcement actions may include issuing a Notice of Violation, fines or requiring the installation of pretreatment equipment.

Pretreatment Ordinance 4-18-91.pdf

RES 2019-27 Revising Fee for Industrial Discharge Permits.pdf

Join our mailing list