Skip to main content

Customer FAQs

The plumber says that the problem is in my sewer line in the street. Will you fix it?

Homeowners are responsible for the maintenance and repair of their own building sewer and lateral pipes, up to and including the connection to Carmel Area Wastewater District’s main sewer line located in the street.

Why do I need a permit to fix my own sewer line?

Carmel Area Wastewater District has permit authority and inspection jurisdiction for building sewer repairs, and you must obtain a permit before starting any work. You or your contractor can obtain a permit at our District offices at 3945 Rio Rd, Carmel, CA. The cost is $110 for on property and $225 if you are opening the street, which includes the inspection fee. The District accepts cash or check only; sorry, no credit cards accepted.

Your crew was working on my street , now my toilet is making funny noise. Why?

Typical industry cleaning equipment uses high-pressure water to clean sewers. During this process, air within the main pipe is displaced and sometimes goes up the private lateral pipe and releases through the toilet. This is sometimes referred to as a “bubbling toilet”.  

What can be done to fix a manhole cover that rattles every time a vehicle rolls over it?

The District has two main types of sewer structures:

  1. Manholes that vary in size from 25 to 42 inches in diameter and
  2. Rodding inlets which are round or oval and vary in size from 9 to 18 inches in diameter

Both structures have solid covers with "Sanitary Sewer" normally imprinted on top. Occasionally, a separation between the base and the cover on either type of structure may cause the cover to rattle when a vehicle rolls over it. Call the District at 831-624-1248 to report a rattling manhole or rodding inlet cover.