The trestle bridge across the Carmel River was built in 1938 and is part of the original treatment plant facility. The structure is a steel framed trestle with support via suspension cables. The structure provides not only a footbridge across the river to the north side of the Carmel River but also supported the former influent pipelines. It has been modified over the years to increase both the capacity of the influent pipelines and to improve the structure. In 2010 the Treatment Facility Superintendent noted the deterioration of the concrete abutment of the pipe trestle structure and the District made the decision to contract with Cornerstone Structural Engineering to evaluate the bridge.
After the evaluation is complete the District will work with other local agencies to determine if there is interest in incorporating the bridge into the Coastal Access Trail